How it Works
- When you send an email, the addin checks to see if you have already included at least 1 of the power subjects (Action/Inform/Question/Confirm) at the start of the subject line. If it finds a power subject, the email will be sent automatically on the assumption that you have manually added the power subject.
- If step 1 fails to detect a power subject at the start of the subject line, the addin will display a dialog box and give you the opportunity to add a power subject by using the check boxes.
- First of all it attempts to parse the email subject into its comp0nents. If it finds the text “RE:” or the text “FW:”, it removes these from the subject and will set the associated flags to ‘set’.
- Anything on the right hand side of the last colon ‘ : ‘ will be added to the ‘subject line’ text box.
- All other text will be discarded, including any power subject words that appear after a “RE:” or “FW:” and before the final colon ‘ : ‘
- You then have the opportunity to do the following:
- select one or more power subjects from the check boxes.
- add, remove or leave as is any of the “RE:” or “FW:” text that gets added by Outlook when you reply or forward a message. It would not be normal to ‘add’ these, but you may want to remove them to clean up your email subject, or alternatively leave them in. These 2 check boxes give you the choice.
- Manually edit the subject line as desired
- You can then ‘send’ the email or ‘cancel’
Some things to be aware of.
- The Addin uses the colon separator ‘ : ‘ to separate power subjects, RE: and FW: from the rest of the subject line. There are some cases where colons are used for other purposes in the subject line, including smilies 🙂 and times eg 11:00am. The addin does its best to catch these and leave them untouched. Occasionally you may find that you get unexpected and undesired results. If this happen, you can use the “original subject” and “proposed subject” to toggle between the two options. Be aware if you use the “original subject”, make sure you don’t double up on your power subjects, re: and fw: text (the addin will pre-pend the settings from the check boxes regardless of what you type in the subject line text box.